First day of Chemo
So I arrived at the hospital at 8:30am yesterday with my best friend, Marianne. They gave me a bag of IV, so yes, I lost my 'port-a-cath virginity' yesterday. It didn't hurt as much as I thought considering the area is still very tender from getting it put in only two days prior. I woke up yesterday morning and the port healed so much in that one night, it was unbelievable! I am able to sleep on my side now with care and move my neck freely now. Thank God that's over!
My chemo starts with 3 cycles of FEC 100 followed by 3 cycles of Taxotere. Each cycle is once every 3 weeks. One cycle of FEC 100 consists of one bag of pre-meds to help with the nausea. I had a smaller bag drip over a 30 min. span, a larger bag drip over an hour span and 3 sringes injected over a couple of minutes. The sringes are supposed to make my urine red...but in actuality it was more like, "Mango Madness". Haha! I'm a part-time photographer and wish I had brought my camera to take a picture of this since I have a picture of my blue pee from the sentinal node biopsy! LOL! Maybe next time.
The nurses were great, and once again, my first day wasn't even close to how bad as I thought it would be. Come to think of it, it was actually a very good day. Being w/my best friend who played my "chemo buddy" yesterday it felt as if we were just having girl talk and quality time, but in a hospital.
I was released from the hospital at 3pm (it took the porters a while to bring down my chemo). I went to the mall and saw my hairdresser and told him to chop my hair even shorter. I have such thick hair and it was too "POOFY" for my liking. I bought 2 hats and my friend bought me one, then the nausea slowly started to creep in. This all started about an hour after I was released from the hospital. My friend and I tried to find the nearest cab to go home. I knew the nausea kicked in when we passed "Kernals" and the smell of the popcorn almost made me vomit right there and then!
I ate a drumstick and lots of bread for dinner, took a nausea pill and drank tons of fluids. The nausea pill knocked me out, like Gravol would so I woke up an hour later and was able to catch the season premiere of Survivor. During Survivor the nausea was creeping up again, but stronger...I threw up twice. :(
LESSON: Don't have orange juice when nauseated!
I went to bed at around 10:30pm after taking another (stronger) nausea pill (I have three kinds) and here I am this morning. I feel alright...not too much nausea, but a little headache that's tolerable.
I'll let you know how day two goes.
Zuni (aka Jenny)
P.S. Waking up with BED HEAD is soooo funny!
--------------------
"LiVe LiFe aS aN eXcLaMatIoN, nOt aN eXpLaNaTioN!"


11 Comments:
Jenny,
We think about you and pray for you everyday. Stay strong girl !!
Luv ya
Ted Vanessa Mya and Matthew
September 15, 2006 9:41 AM
Hey Jenny,
I feel sad and at the same time so happy for you. I’m sad because I know if I were given the situation you are in I would feel so lost and confused. Again, you have taught me something about myself. Your spirit is always setting an example of how to be strong. I also feel envious and at the same time truly privileged. Usually, envy comes from a place of hidden insecurities people have for one another, this time for me it comes a new found respect and love for you. I am privileged that our lives have crossed paths. Stay strong and remember... Your strength and your courage will never go unnoticed. Your moral fiber is unbelievable!! We will always love you. Oh ya… I’m happy because I know you’ll come out an even better person when all this is through.
September 15, 2006 10:24 AM
Hi Atzi Gigi! It's me Joan =)
Everyone here is praying for you. Last night, at exactly 9:00pm here ( 9 am on your side of the world ^_~ ), everyone in the Uy family dropped everything to pray the rosary together for you.
We may not be all that close but we're family and we care very much for you.
Stay strong!
God bless!
Joan Siy
P.S. here's a link to my own blog... mainly it consists of random babbles about school and stuff ...
September 15, 2006 11:48 AM
HEEEELLLO!
ninang! holy! what an expierience!!! you are a soldier your dealing & fighting this oh so well!
love you & stay strong =) <3
September 15, 2006 9:03 PM
Hey Jen,
First I have to say that you are my "superwoman". I have a few found respect and admiration for you babe. We never know how we will deal with “stuff” that life passes our way - “WOW” is what I say “WOW” I know this is just one more thing to make you stronger. I remember the girl I met and talked to about life, fate, meaning …… Celestine Prophecy - here we came!
I am glad that you are sharing your experience with us as all women need to start talking to each other about what goes on with our bodies….you never know what you might say that will help someone or who it will touch. You are breaking the silence of the past generations that say “that is not to be talked about or it’s too personal”. You are kicking that out the door and I am so glad and very proud of you.
Mom and I (yes Chris too) are all praying and rooting for you. Give a good fight hon!
Love ya’ – Shel
September 15, 2006 10:53 PM
Jenny... I think about you every day. I will log on and read your journey. Stay strong...
September 15, 2006 11:27 PM
Jenny,
Good to see your positive outlook and strength at a challenging time. But then again you've always been way above average at almost everything, so why should this be any different? We're always praying for you - cuz chemo's gotta be tough and hey anything to help you get through it.
Lotsa love from Kayla, Trixie and Ian.
September 16, 2006 1:22 AM
My dear daughter Jenny,
It may surprise a lot of people how you handle this with courage, strength,and hope but most of all your faith in God. I know you better than anyone else because I was your Mr. MOM (and still is)since you were five years old.
Look at you now, you have blossomed into a responsible, mature adult. One thing for sure you are always independent and doing your thing in your own special way. And hate to be treated like a delicate flower. Knowing you so well that without any doubt you will win this battle because God is always at your side.
I will talk to you later.
With my love and prayers,
Dad
September 17, 2006 8:24 AM
Hi Jen,
You are always in my thoughts and prayers. We are going to fight this one and I feel that we will win this time with the guidance of our Creator. HE knows what is best for all of us. God bless you and keep you in His care always.
Love and prayers,
Auntie Lenie
September 17, 2006 8:39 AM
To my ate Gigi,
Oh boy, what can i say? You are my role model and your always someone I can look up to. Im praying for you everyday, hoping that you will get better and fight this! And I know you will, because you are one strong girl, and maybe that's why I'm so strong right now, just watching you be strong just encourages me stay strong aswell. Anyways, just remember I'm always here for you. I LOVE YOU GIGI!!
God Bless,
Your sista-friend Kristyn
September 17, 2006 8:49 AM
Hey Jenny
You're awesome. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. We're with you every step of the way!!!
Love ya!
September 18, 2006 8:31 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home