I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Monday, October 09, 2006

A quick update

I just wanted to check in with my daily readers to let you know that this weekend I shaved my head. My head is round (YAAAY!), but it's so white compared to my face! I'll have to work on tanning it, so it doesn't look so awkward. I took pictures that I will post at a later date. I lent my digital camera to a friend, so my pictures are on film that I will have to develop. My brother did the honours and if you know who my brother is, it was quite the experience. He gave me a mohawk at first, we took a picture together, then he shaved it all off.

Other than that, my weekend has been trying. Unlike the first cycle, I was a tad more nauseous resulting in more vomiting, not to mention more weak because I haven't been eating much.

Today I feel better. I think I might be able to eat today, but I haven't tried yet. I'm craving baby bok choy with oyster sauce! I feel as though I can eat an entire plate full. My mouth is still very dry and I have a chemical taste in my mouth that makes me want to vomit every now and then. On Saturday I almost wanted to give up...the nausea is just too much sometimes. Thinking that I have four more cycles was simply tiring, but I'm over it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone....I'm probably the only one that hasn't pigged out this weekend! ;)

Jen

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,

I'm sorry to hear it was a rough weekend for you....I hope your feeling less nauseous shortly. In regards to the shaved head....I'm sure it looks good on you just like the short haircut. Take care of yourself and we'll see you soon!

October 09, 2006 12:18 PM

 
Blogger Rachelle said...

Wow, you are in inspiration to all women.
Thank you for being so brave and posting all about your journey.
Having developed many 'lumps' in my breasts the last couple of years, and going through mammo, after ultrasound ad nauseum and biopsies where you wait, wait, wait.... it gets tremendously scary.
For me, everything has tested out okay so far, so I am blessed.
But all of us are blessed by women like you who are going through this with courage and strength and sharing for us to learn from.
Life is indeed precious, no?
Come and visit me, maybe I can make you laugh :))
Slainte~
Rachelle
http://pasturemusings.blogspot.com

October 09, 2006 12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! While writing to you 50 or so ladybugs just flew up to my window! Look at what this represents for YOU: Ladybugs are considered to be symbols of fire and the Sun. Ladybug is associated with spirituality and religious devotion. Its life is short and it teaches to let go of worries and fears, to trust the great spirit and enjoy life. It is thought to be connected with the powers of renewal and regeneration. The Ladybug's appearance brings joy and changes and is a message to have faith in the greater powers.
For you my sista' - with love Redd

October 09, 2006 2:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try lifesavers for the drymouth and chemical taste! Saw it on a show. Can't wait to see the mohawk pic...sorry you had a bad weekend.

October 09, 2006 5:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny, you are amazing. I can really see your spirit through reading your blog and it is really amazing! I hope the good day you had is lasting with you! Talk to you soon.
love
Vanessa

October 10, 2006 11:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Gigi!
Hope your feeling. I heard from Jade, that you havent eaten that much! I hope you get you appetite back. Im so sad that you shaved your hair :( Jade told me that you head feels cold! hehe. Aw.. I remember you as Pocahontas with very long hair, and i used to pretend it was my hair, because i had no hair! haha. Oh well. It will grow back.
Anyways, im looking forward to see you this saturday!
LOVE YOU.
-KRISTYN

October 10, 2006 5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're lucky your head is round. Mine goes into sort of a point at the top :) oh well. Anyway I hope you're feeling better. Have a great day and can't wait to see you on the weekend. If you're not up for it, it's cools, I'll take your money next time :)

luv ya kid

Ted

October 11, 2006 8:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving too Jen... I read your blog at home in the weekend. Same here, I didn't pig out.

Your blog about the chemo is very informative to me, I had no idea how it was done. Now I even have pictures to look at.

I hope you're feeling ok... Are you going to post more pictures? You take great pictures, no matter how simple things are, or difficult.

Row

October 11, 2006 4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home