I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

White blood cells

I just got back from the hospital. I went this morning at 11:15am for my one week post chemo test. They assume that today would be a low white blood cell count day and wanted to see exactly how low it would be. If they find that I'm extremely low, they would inject me with a drug called, Neulasta, which would help increase my white blood count. I had to wait for the results...they said it would take an hour. Three hours later I was bored, hungry, thirsty and bored...yes, two times B-O-R-E-D! The results finally arrived and I scored 3.19. I had no idea what that meant and I'm sure you don't either. They say normal is between 4.3 - 11, so I'm definitely low, but not so low that I need Neulasta. I was released from the hospital with practically my entire day spent at the hospital...again! Oh well, I'm actually getting used to the hospital routine that it no longer irritates me. I just know that hospital days equal time waiting and wasted. Next time I'm bringing a book or music with me!

So it looks like I'm on track...I'm scheduled for cycle #2 on October 5th. I'm feeling as good as I can be considering. My appetite came back a few days ago, my strength is average and the dry mouth is perpetual! I removed the bandaging from my port today and it looks alright. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing something foreign sticking out of my skin like that. The actual site of the port is still very tender. I'll try to take new pictures of it soon.

Don't forget to check out www.zuniphotography.blogspot.com to view some of my photographs. I encourage you to leave comments for me as I still consider myself a student in this field and would appreciate any feedback.

Take care for now!

Zuni
"мY LiFе ιѕ A вEauTiFuL меLodΥ…опLy tHe LYяісS aRe мEѕSеd uP."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenny ... your body may be sick, but your spirit is very much alive and kicking as what I can gather from your daily account of your journey. Just remember and keep only the good things and memories; I am hoping and praying that sooner you will be counting more blessings than challenges as then you will be on the road to full recovery.

October 04, 2006 1:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home