I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Week #5

This week is my second last week before I'm done...I can't believe it!
I have rads at 9:45am this morning, followed by my weekly appointment
to see the oncologist, then I'm off to Mt. Sinai at 1pm for genetic
testing. Tomorrow, I'm back at St. Mike's for my first heart test since
I've been onHerceptin. I've been drinking two tablespoons of olive oil daily, so I hope it's paying off. My next treatment of Herceptin is this Thursday and I'll find out the heart results then.

Other than that, I've been doing very well. My hair is growing and I've subconsciously linked that to my recovery so as I watch my hair grow the better I feel! My legs are almost back to normal now...a little weaker than before, but much better than what it was. I continue to have hot and cold flashes and the fatigue is still present, but I've learned how to manage it well. My oncologist says it will progressively get worse before it gets better, so I'm prepared and ready for that...and so are my pillows!haha ! There was one morning where I woke up and felt as if my boob was going to fall off my body, but that only lasted a couple hours and then went away. The skin around my breast is pink, slightly tender, sometimes itchy, and sometimes uncomfortable when I lie on my side, but manageable. I'm still applying aloe vera gel daily.

Spiritually and mentally, I'm a little anxious, but anxious in
a good way. I have two more weeks of rads, so I'm excited to be done
with all of this. Radiation has been a BREEZE compared to chemo! (I
hope I didn't jinx myself!) I'm a little anxious to see how easy (or
difficult) it will be for me to get my life back to normal or a "new
normal". During chemo, my brain was complete mush. I've been slowly
forcing my brain to concentrate more, remember more and to eventually
read....something I couldn't do before. It's been paying off because
I've been wanting to read this short book called, "For One More Day" by
Mitch Albom , the author of one of my favorite books titled, "Tuesdays
with Morrie" since chemo started and it's only now that I'm able to. I
can't read for very long, but it's an improvement from where I was.

I know some of you noticed that HULKSTER came back. It caught me by surprise too! I still have no idea who this could be, but this person obviously knows that I'm a George Michael fan.hmm...

The Raptors lost all weekend. I was okay with us losing to the Bucks since that's where I, Charlie V. plays, but the game against the Cavs was painful!

This week is a busy one for me. I not only have rads every day, but I have four additional appointments on top of that. If you don't hear from me, you know why!

Keep smiling!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I saw Charlie V hit a 3 against the Raps on Friday and I smiled a little bit because I thought of you but then quickly yelled "$h1T !" Because we were losing. Anyway I'm so happy that you're doing better. I can almost taste the sushi now. Luv ya kid !!

Luv Ted

Maybe Hulkster is George Michael ;)

March 05, 2007 12:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!

I am glad to hear radiation is almost over. Are we going to celebrate? I sure hope so!
Perhaps, 'Hulkster' is a secret admirer you have and you don't know about? Please share with us if ever you find out who this person is??? it's so intriguing...

love ya & miss ya!

Chiquita.

March 06, 2007 5:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home