A case of too much info and too much thinking
I finally got my heart results back. It turns out my heart is functioning 12% less than what it used to prior to treatment. Whether that's good or bad, I'm not completely sure yet. "Ejection Fraction", which is the measurement of my heart's ability to pump blood out my heart with each beat has been reduced from 72% to 60%. I've been told that 60% is still considered normal, but to find out where exactly my heart "lost points" for lack of a better word will be explained to me on Thursday. My oncologist needs to consult the cardiologist that reviewed my heart to see if I can still proceed with Herceptin. When I asked what the risks were, I was told "heart failure". :S I go back to the hospital tomorrow for a long chat with my oncologist, blood work and what may be my first treatment of Herceptin, if the cardiologist gives the okay.
My legs are the worst its ever been and fatigue is definitely sinking in. Saturday night I came home and some kid pulled the fire alarm in my building, which automatically disabled our elevators. I had to walk seven flights of stairs and it made me so tired that I spent all day in bed on Sunday. Yesterday, I was in the kitchen making myself a cup of coffee and just standing in the kitchen stirring my cup with sugar and cream made my legs want to buckle. I don't think I'll ever get used to this.
My right eye has exactly one bottom eyebrow left, my left has three. The hair on my head was growing, but the last chemo cycle made it fall out again, so I gave it a nice shave to make it even and hopefully the hair will start to grow back in soon.
Radiation is scheduled for February 5th at Princess Margaret. I love this hospital. I'm going to see if I can switch oncologists to someone there. I just don't have a good feeling about my current oncologist. She's good, she knows her stuff, but she's always so busy to address my concerns fully and when she does I'm not really satisfied. I feel like just a file or a number to her and not a patient, a person fighting for her life. I don't know...maybe it's just me...a classic case of too much thinking, but I live life following my gut and my gut doesn't feel too right at the moment. When I talked to her yesterday, she wanted to get me started on Herceptin immediately, but when I asked her about my heart and whether it was okay to continue treatment considering my heart function dropped I made her second guess herself. This is supposed to be someone who's supposed to save my life, not give me heart failure. I don't know...I've got alot on my mind. Reality sunk in yesterday hearing this news and like I've said before, talking to the doctors can be real depressing! They make me realize how serious this thing is and it turns my lil' ol smile upside down, but don't worry I'll turn in back around soon....always do! ;)


5 Comments:
thanks for explaining what these special medical things are! it'll be great for my speech, which is due tomorrow =(
...
man. am i ever proud of you for staying strong during this battle. you are a survivor! YOU did it ninang. *props =)
<3Jade
January 24, 2007 4:26 PM
Hi Babes,
As I am sure you know I am a believer in things happening for a reason….. that includes feelings as well. If you have questions - ask if you don’t like or agree with the answer then ask again. If you feel like your Doc is not giving you the personal attention you need and that she is not treating you as you need, then you need to listen to your heart. As Oprah says the Lord gives you signs – the prickly feel on the back of your neck or your gut telling you “WAIT A SEC…..”. I think that you should talk to another oncologist even if you decided to stay with the one you have you need to explore the option. There is a reason you are feeling like this and you owe it to yourself to explore it.
Hang in there babe it will get better and the light on my torch is burning strong for you. I know that that smile will be turned around soon – hang in there.
Love ya’
Shelly M
January 25, 2007 2:51 AM
Missed you at lunch yesterday Charlie. I still had Sushi though MMM MMM MMM !!
At least you have 60% of your heart Vince Carter has no heart !! LOL !!!
Don't worry girl keep your bald head up. i don't have long eyelashes but if you want some of mine let me know and I'll hook you up.
Raptors Win ! Raptors Win !!!
Here I'll sing to you, should cheer you up ..
Ooh-oo child, things are gonna be easier
Ooh-oo child, things'll be brighter
Ooh-oo child, things are gonna be easier
Ooh-oo child, things'll be brighter
Hope that put a smile on your face Jen-nuy (like how Forrest Gump says it).
Luv ya kid
Ted
January 25, 2007 8:01 AM
Hey you! Is the radiation going to interfere with our weekly sushi? :P
All jokes aside, usually you're right about you thinking too much. But this is definitely an exception! This is about your LIFE! If you feel you are not comfortable with her, don't think about switching... just do it. Or, at least get a second opinion.
Like you said, follow your gut. What would you rather lose, time in finding a new oncologist or your life?!?!
Proud of you girl. Keep shining bright.
Love ya.
January 25, 2007 5:06 PM
Hi Jenny,
I've been thinking about you and glad to hear you have gone thru the first hurdle. Chemo is the worst of it all and congratulations, you survived it!:)
Radiation will be a breeze for you, there's less puking. I had to laugh when you talked about your tatooing - the doctor told me they would do that....I didn't wanna look so when I got home-I saw that they was a big X on my left boob. I thought, wow they really don't want to miss their mark!! I had a shower and to my surprise....it all came off, I frantically called my doctor to tell her that my tatoo came off in the shower! She just about fell off her chair. I didn't realize all they did was prick you...I couldn't even see the dots! haha!
It's been difficult for me to read some your blogs because it's cathartic... I know what you mean man. Take it one day at a time and you WILL be okay . Just hang in there and the yucky stuff will be over soon.
Be strong, and take care.
Cecile
PS I forwarded your video to the Weekend to End breast cancer group, should be hearing from them anytime.
January 26, 2007 7:47 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home