I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

MRI

Yesterday at 5:30pm I had the MRI. St. Mike's had called me on Saturday letting me know that my appointment was on Monday. Pretty quick, huh?

The test consists of an IV so that they can inject a dye into me. I lie on my stomach completely still for just a little over an hour. I was given earplugs to wear because the machine is very loud. It's painless, there's no radiation involved, thankfully. Between bone scans, routine MUGA's and 30 rounds of radiation, God knows I've had more than enough! My only complaint was that I was having major hot flashes while in the machine and I couldn't move, so by the time I was done, I had gotten up from the bed and had soaked my pillow and some parts of the bed. I know, gross, but I'm just being real.

I took a peek at one of the images of my breast. I don't know how to read these things, but I know that black areas mean there's something there - scar tissue, tumours and such. My left breast showed alot of black areas. I'm assuming scar tissue. I have NO idea when I should be getting my results back. I was too occupied with the sweat from the hot flashes and getting out of there that I didn't ask. I got out just after 7pm. My dad and stepmom were waiting in the waiting room for me.
When I find out, the blog will be updated.

Other than that, I've been feeling very tired lately. I'm stressed and don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it seems as though I'm having a major bout of fatigue. I haven't been sleeping well at nights either. I've been getting up almost every 1-1.5 hours at night. This morning, I didn't get out of bed until 10am and it's only 12pm and I want to take a nap. I'm also coughing alot this morning. I read that this is a side effect of Herceptin. It seems as though the side effects never end. At least these ones are somewhat tolerable...nothing like chemo! ;)

yawwwn...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home