More Than Long Overdue - My Last and Final Treatment
Hi Everyone,
I know it's been long overdue, but i've been putting off writing my final post because there's just been so much to write about. I figure I'll do it in "baby steps" and will eventually get you all caught up. Consider this post one of many to get you caught up! :)
MY LAST TREATMENT:
February 21, 2008 - My final treatment of Herceptin and a ticket to fly to the Philippines with my father the very next day: What's there to say? After going to the hospital religiously every three weeks for treatment I FINALLY reach the end of my treatments. I think back at an earlier post where this day seemed sooooo far away, but here it is. I had a friend, Michelle Yee, meeting me at the hospital that day because she's a professional photographer wanting to use me as a subject for a project called, "The Cancer Connection", where Canadian photographers of all levels take photos of people living, suffering or who have lost someone to the disease. I also had one of my best friends, Daryl Branton and his family meet me too. Heidi, my soul sister also came to meet me that day. Treatment that day was bittersweet. There was a part of me that was happy....overjoyed, rather to finally have my last treatment. A sigh of relief because I FINALLY get to have my life back after this. Then there's the side of me that's just sad. Sad because I've bonded with the patients and staff of St. Mike's and so worried because after this treatment, that's it.....no more treatments and the simple fact that I'm no longer doing anything active to fight off this disease just stirs up fear that the cancer will come back.
My last treatment was just that, my last treatment. I was surrounded by close friends and my brother, I had nurses cheering for me because I made it, but it was surreal.
I brought the nurses a framed photo I took at the cottage that was donated to me through Cottage Dreams. I blew it up and framed it in hopes that they could find wall space to hang it. After a year and a half of their care, I needed to give them something that would last. Something to remember me by because all of them will forever have a place in my heart. I also blew up a photo for my oncologist that she could hang in her office. Below, are the two photos:


After treatment, I had lunch at The Pickle Barrel in Yorkdale Mall to celebrate this day with Daryl, Alma, Nuriah, Zahra, Liz and Jun.
Thank you Heidi, Jun, Michelle, Dee, Alma and kids for witnessing and cheering me on this day. I love you with all my heart!
Tomorrow, I go to the Philippines....


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home