I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Beaten up, but alive

It's Tuesday and I'm feeling better, but not a 100%. I took a beating this weekend. Where do I begin? Well, let's start off where I left you which was right before going to the hospital for my shot of Neulasta.

I finally got myself dressed and made my way over to the hospital. I was supposed to have "home care", which would have a nurse come by my place to inject the shot, but something happened and the forms were not filled out in time. I took my weak self over to the hospital and the nurses were surprised to see me so nauseous. I told them how much I was vomiting the night before and they paged my oncologist immediately and sat me in a chair. My oncologist came by and was concerned that I lost too many fluids so ordered the nurses to set up an IV and to also give me some meds through there. Just to let you know how out of it I was, I let the nurse set up the IV in my hand knowing well enough that I had a port and should have used it. Everything was just difficult...talking, walking, standing, thinking, you name it. A poke in the hand is a poke. I didn't have the strength to tell her otherwise. I left the hospital four hours later. My oncologist wanted to admit me, but I just wanted home.

The nausea didn't get any better. I spent all of Saturday, Sunday and some of Monday in bed waking up for only a few minutes at a time. I was curled up hoping that I'd wake up feeling better, but that never came. This was bad! I actually had thoughts of dying. I was wondering if this is what it felt like and was pretty sure that it would be something like it. Thinking that I had three more cycles of this was just tiring. I wanted to throw in the towel.

The weekend is a blur...it was a very long episode of nausea. My brother on the other hand was a super nurse and took very good care of me. So, thank you Jun...I love you! :-)

I haven't been able to eat much yet. My insides feel very weak and worn out. The nasty chemical taste in my mouth is ever-present resulting in whatever I put in my mouth to taste...well, not so good. I'm gagging more than the two previous cycles, but nothing is coming out. Then again, there's not much in my stomach. I do feel better though, just not a 100%. Hopefully the taste in my mouth goes away, so I can eat a real meal soon.

To everyone who sent their thoughts, love, or light (Shelly), "Thank you!" I wish you all would know how much the little gesture helps me and what it does to my spirit. If I could give it back in some way I would, just so you can have a taste of what its like. It's a piece of Heaven! I love you guys and am so thankful that I have you in my life.

Jen

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say ... just that I love you kid. Are you sick of hearing me say that yet ? It's funny we've been cousins for like 16 years ? (How old is Kristyn ?) and not once have I said that I love you. I'm sorry, but I always have. If you are sick of me saying I love you just let me know and I'll do it more often :) I mean in this post alone I've said it 3 times already. Ok I'll stop bothering you now. But I do love ya Pearl !!! LOL.

luv ya

Ted

that's 5 times :)

October 31, 2006 11:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so open and honest in your posts. I am so very blessed to know you. You are a true inspiration.

October 31, 2006 12:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

I just read your post and All I can say is WOW!! I worte a poem to hopefully give you some positive inspiration....I am sending all of my positive energy to you!! Hang in there!!

your friend
Glenn...

My Spirit,

Physically I am being tested,
All of my strength to my body vested.

My body feels tired weary and strained,
Still my spirit is stronger It wont be restrained

I shall keep my positive thoughts and vision
I cannot be beaten, I refuse to give in

I will fight I will strive and claim my victory
With the support of friends loved ones and family.

Our spirits our thoughts and prayers altogether
This challenge I’ll get through with THE higher power!

October 31, 2006 1:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Babes,

Wow…. What do I say – I LOVE YOU & will keep shining the light for as long as you need it and even longer than that.
Ok so time to share a little something with you written by Laurieann Kelly –

Sometimes in life, you find a special friend: someone who changes your life by being a part of it. Someone who makes you believe there really is good in the world. This forever friendship…
When you’re down, and the world seems dark and empty, your forever friend lifts you up in spirit and makes that dark and empty would seem bright and full.
Your forever friend gets you through the hard times, and the confused times. If you turn and walk away, your forever friend follows….
If you loose your way, your forever friend guides you and cheers you on. Your forever friend holds your hand and tells you that everything is going to be OKAY.
If you find such a friend, you feel happy and complete, because you need not worry. You have a forever friend for life, and FOREVER HAS NO END.

Jenny – you have a lot of forever friends myself included and we will and are all standing here right by you. We will be your strength when you have lost yours. We will lift you up when you need to stand and hold your had when you are scared. I am just one of your forever friends, loving, praying, hoping, wishing, and shining the light for you.

I love you more than my words can say.

Shelly M

October 31, 2006 9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Babes,

I forgot to mention - Hey JUN thanks for taking such great care of your sis. We love you too!

Shelly M

October 31, 2006 10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jun, thanks for taking care of Jenny.
Jen, don't lose faith and hope.

Val

November 02, 2006 10:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jun, thanks for taking care of Jenny.
Jen, don't lose faith and hope.

Val

November 02, 2006 10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home