I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Merry Christmas!

I've lived the same day for five days straight. Lying in bed, aching in pain, wanting to eat something I can taste, waiting, riding this torture out. All I kept telling myself during those days was, "Just one more of this and you're done Jen, just one more!" Today I'm somewhat better. I'm very weak, but the worst of the pains seem to not have come around today. My fingers are sore (again), so typing is challenging. I've actually noticed something scary with Taxotere that I didn't get with FEC100 and that's my lungs and heart get very weak. I've never actually "felt" my lungs or heart before...I just know it's there, you know? But for very brief instances I can actually "feel" it, weakened and then it goes away. I can't help but wonder if that's what dying feels like. It must be. My tongue is that nasty white again, it's awful! I took pictures, but then thought, "Do I really want to post a picture of this? It's pretty NASTY!!!" haha!

Yesterday marked my five month anniversary since being diagnosed. As I laid in bed staring at the ceiling, I reflected. Was it a fast five months? Do I truly feel that I'm almost done treatments? And to be honest, I really don't know. This is all very dream-like. All this, this blog, the treatments, the pain, the epiphanies, the love and support, the hair loss, all of it seems surreal. Still. There's still a part of me that doesn't believe this is all happening. That "I" have cancer. Strange.

I look forward to 2007...to having my life back, whatever that entails. It'll be interesting for me to see myself patch my life back together. As for 2006, as crazy it is, I wouldn't change a thing. Lance Armstrong said in his book that chemo is worse than cancer itself and he is so right! Cancer (not chemo) has been a blessing in my life. It has brought my family closer than ever. There are NO words to describe the peace I feel in my heart knowing that my mom and I are getting along as friends. My wish has come true! Cancer has solidified my relationships with people. You know who you are. There's that saying that you know who your friends are when the going gets tough. Well, it got tough and I know who was there, so "thank you". And the lesson I will carry with me forever is "Appreciate"...yeah, that crazy post I wrote a while ago. Cancer has made me more sincere and more thankful for the "Now". Cancer has made my Life's Wishlist short and that's just "Create moments"...whether that's in Nepal, Africa or right here in Toronto, I just need to create moments. It's all we got and it's all that matters. There's a quote by George Carlin that I love it goes:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

So with that being said, I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful....yes WONDERFUL Holidays! Be thankful, be happy, be in the NOW and smile! I am! :)

I'll try to write again before the year's end.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen!

I am so glad to hear from you. Everyday I have been checking your blog twice a day to see if you had written. I wish I could take that pain away from you...I am glad you are feeling a bit better today.

I had a WONDERFUL time with you last Friday. I am looking forward to spend another day with you in the new year. People you know at Moneris Solutions have been asking about you. They want to see you. Perhaps when you feel better you can drop by in the new year.

I love you lots and I wish you and your family Peace and Happiness.

Chiquita.

December 22, 2006 1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

I'll be thinking of you this christmas time.

Row

December 22, 2006 1:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more to go Gigi =) Then no more pain!
See you on Christmas Eve!
Love you,
Kristyn

December 22, 2006 10:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it through! I am thinking and praying with you everyday! Mon (& Curtis too)!

December 23, 2006 1:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Babes,

I was so glad to log on today and see your new post. I have been thinking of you and many have been asking for you. I am stil holding the light for you and will always be. I hope that you have a pain free Christmas or even a few moments. This journey you ahve taken us on has surely taught me a lot of things. Like dream again like we were kids "live" each moment to the fullest and count all your blessings and hardships.
Know that Mom and I are praying and thinking for you and the family.

Love ya'
Shelly

December 25, 2006 2:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What more can I say?
Except Hey that is my daugter and my shining star.
Again, thank you for what you have written in my Christmas card and Lenie's.
It meant a lot to us.
The best Christmas present we can ever ask for.
Love You!!!!
Dad

December 25, 2006 5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny/Pearl/Charlie

You made my Christmas this year !! I actually got to see you Jun and Jade on Christmas day. Like you said before that last time we spent time together on Christmas was soooo long ago. I think Lolo and Lola were still alive and yes I was young :) It was great seeing you, talking to you and feeling your bald head. That was my Chistmas wish from Santa was to feel your bald head and you made it come true. Ok I'm going to be a little serious right now (I know it's weird)... I just wanted to tell you that I admire you (always have) for your strength, will and preserverance. I know I'm the older one but I look up to you. You have taught me not to sweat the small things and to worry just about the important things in life. Ok that's it no more deep talk from me. Hope to see you again soon and hang out a little longer. I forgot to tell you that "I love you kid" on Christmas. SO I love you kid. Peace !

Ted

I'll get on that Raptor game !

December 26, 2006 1:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great being able to spend Christmas with you, Jun and Jade.
Thank you for coming out. I hope you will be able to taste those macaroons. If not, I'll just have to make you some more when you feel better.

BTW, you look good Charlie!!! I'll be emailing you pics.

December 26, 2006 7:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Looks like you had a beautiful christmas with loving friends & family. Looking forward to hear from you, but no rush.

Row

December 29, 2006 9:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! I am so happy to hear that you spent Christmas with your family. I have no doubt that you have created so many incredible moments with them, as they have with you.

2006 has been a memorable year for me. So many life lessons I've learned. I am thankful for the lessons YOU have taught me. I will strive to create many more moments with my family and friends.

You have been touched by God's grace and wrapped in HIS all encompassing LOVE.

Have a Blessed New Year!!!!!

Hugs and kisses to you. muah!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Jun!

Val

December 29, 2006 10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home