I am 29 yrs old and five days after my birthday I was diagnosed with Stage 2, grade 3, er+/pr+, HER2 +, breast cancer. I've been in and out of the hospital since and thought I'd document my journey. I've already had surgery and a port-a-cath put in, so my blog starts the day I start treatments. If you're just tuning in, then start from the beginning by clicking on "September" on the right column and scroll down to the bottom.

Friday, March 16, 2007

8:33am

"8:33am....8...33....am." That's the time the machine turned off and I was told by the Radiation Therapist while still lying on the bed, "You're ALL DONE!". How do I feel? I don't know yet...it's surreal. I've spent the last six months and two days in treatment and just like that, at 8:33am I get my life back and it's supposed to be a normal one. It's strange, it's bittersweet, it's kind of scary...it feels, sudden.

Although I'm done at Princess Margaret, I'm not completely finished yet, hence the reason why I call it a "checkpoint" and not the "finish line". I still have one year of Herceptin every three weeks providing my heart can take it. I have hormonal treatments for five years and I'm still very much a patient at St. Mike's, it's just my every day visits to Princess Margaret are over. I meet with the oncologist at PMH this Monday to check my skin and then it's a visit every six months. Speaking of skin, it's currently burnt and some of the skin around my incision where they checked my lymph nodes have broken. I know, disgusting!

I'm going to try to take this all in now. I know I should feel happier, but I just don't. I just keep saying to myself, "8:33am. 8...33...am..."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing... and for putting things into a clearer perspective.

March 16, 2007 8:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn:

Congratulations! A new page opens in your book of life. There is so much possibility, so many new beginnings for you to explore and embark in. You are armed with a new perspective in this life and that is a blessing. I am so proud of what you have accomplished and have become as a person, sister, daughter, cousin and friend.
"An Irish Blessing"
Dear Lord,
Give me a few friends
who will love me for what I am,
and keep ever burning
before my vagrant steps
the kindly light of hope...
And though I come not within sight
of the castle of my dreams,
teach me to be thankful for life,
and for time's olden memories
that are good and sweet.
And may the evening's twilight
find me gentle still.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Val

March 17, 2007 12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOOOOOOOOO Jenny !!!! Big Daddy here. I missed this post on Friday but I saw you finally yesterday so it's all good. I had a great time hanging out with you and everyone yesterday. I got to feel your Ch Ch Ch Chia head and give you a big ol Big Daddy Hug. One thing for sure is that Dory is definitley gone ! You were killin' it in the games we played. Anyway can't wait to see you again, we never did decide on a game to go to. Get on it will ya ? I Luv ya kid !!!!

Ted

March 19, 2007 10:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home